Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Red Miso - A Day in the Life of Fermenting!

Red Miso

Ingredients:

1 Cup Aduki Beans
1 Cup Dried Koji
4 Tablespoons Sea Salt
1 Tablespoon Seed Miso Starter

Directions:

 1.  Soak beans overnight in salt water
 2.  Drain the beans but save the liquid
 3.  Make a brine with 1/2 cup of liquid, dissolve 1/2 salt and beans
      and cook either in a pressure cooker or pot.
 4.  While waiting for the liquid to cool, mash beans into a paste.
 5.  When brine is below 105 degrees, mix in seed miso starter.
 6.  Add mashed beans to the liquid mixture.
 7.  Salt (1/2 tsp) your fermenting vessel at the bottom, add bean 
      mixture and smash down firmly.
 8.  Sprinkle salt on the top of your mixture, add wax paper and a weight.
 9.  Cover miso with a cloth to keep the flies out.
10. Label and date your ferment as it will sit for 6 months.




What can I say - love me some MISO!  Isn't this beautiful?  It's just too bad that it takes at least 6 months to ferment!  I started the ferment August 25th and I still have a least a week to go in order to taste it - I may even go with the fermentation process a little longer, but I'm looking forward to my fist Miso attempt and by the looks of everything, it's going to be delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment